Monday, August 16, 2010

A New Year a New Goal

My goal for the new year is to Model Digital-Age Work and Learning by communicating relevant information and ideas effectively to students, parents, and peers using a variety of digital-age material and formats. I chose this goal to continue building on last years goal of developing a class web site for the first time. This relates with capacity #3: Use, evaluate and integrate existing and emerging technologies in my practice.
Developing and maintaining a class web site was a big learning curve for me, especially when I decided to incorporate a blog and a wiki. I realize now I may have taken on too much. My first step was to learn the tool myself and then teach it to my students. I was pleased with how I used the wiki to support writing in the classroom. My goal this year is to take it one step further and use the web site to improve communication with my parents by getting them more involved. My hope is to organize a time to have parents come in and have their child teach them about the website. I will need to continue to improve my ability to use the wiki and to better apply it to support students’ learning and provide feedback. Lastly, I did not get to incorporate a blog with my last year's class. This year I’d like have it part of my web site as another learning tool.

2 comments:

  1. I think that you are still setting very high goals for yourself, and I hope that they work for you. I found that maintaining a website was all I could manage, time-wise, as I had to teach a new class how to access it and use it, post comments, email me from it, etc. A thought may be to start with the website, perhaps a wiki, until Christmas, and if it's all manageable, add a blog in January as a last project. That way, you have time to learn, then share, then learn more, then teach more....
    Could you build a website demo. into your Meet the Teacher Night? Just a thought, you don't have to listen to me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... I LOVE my blog. It's an informal rant about what we're doing, what I'm thinking and where we are going. I LOVE it. I think parents like seeing the photos on my website, they can see my newsletter before they get it (if so inclined), a calendar and other info. I like the website demo idea at Meet the Teacher night. I could see also posting a slideshow of snaps taken and running that. A class website is a nightly time vacuum but I think it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete